In today’s fast-paced business world, managing office supplies, particularly printing services, can be a daunting task. As an integral part of operations, it’s crucial to ensure that your company’s printing needs are met efficiently and cost-effectively.
This is where Managed Print Services (MPS) come into play. In this blog, we’ll explore what to look for in a MPS provider, the services typically covered, the types of devices included, and how businesses can benefit from having their service through one vendor and managed print services through another.
Understanding MPS and Its Importance
Managed Printer Services encompass a range of services provided by an external provider to optimize or manage a company’s document output. The main components provided are needs assessment, selective or general replacement of hardware, and the service, parts, and supplies needed to operate the new and/or existing hardware.
The provider also monitors usage, helps with document security and control, and provides various solutions to meet changing business needs.
Selecting the Right MPS Provider: Key Factors to Consider
- Expertise and Reputation: Look for a provider with a strong track record in MPS. They should have expertise in both hardware and software solutions and a reputation for excellent customer service.
- Customization and Flexibility: Each business has unique needs. Your MPS provider should offer customizable solutions that can adapt to your specific requirements.
- Comprehensive Assessment and Planning: A reliable provider will conduct a thorough assessment of your current print infrastructure and workflows to develop a tailored plan that aligns with your business goals.
- Ongoing Support and Maintenance: Ensure the provider offers comprehensive support and maintenance services. This includes regular check-ups and prompt responses to any issues that arise.
- Cost-Effectiveness and Transparency: A good MPS provider will help you reduce costs without compromising quality. Look for transparent pricing models with no hidden fees.
Services Typically Covered in MPS
- Hardware Maintenance and Repair: Regular maintenance and timely repairs of printers, copiers, and multifunction devices.
- Supply Management: Automatic replenishment of toners and other consumables to avoid downtime.
- Software Solutions: Implementation of software for better document management, workflow optimization, and print security.
- Usage Tracking and Reporting: Detailed reports on print activities to help identify patterns and potential areas for cost reduction.
- Environmental Sustainability: Solutions for reducing the environmental impact of printing, like recycling programs and energy-efficient devices.
Types of Devices Typically Covered
MPS providers usually cover a wide range of devices, including:
- Multifunction printers (MFPs) that combine printing, scanning, copying, and faxing capabilities.
- Desktop printers suitable for small-scale printing needs.
- High-volume printers and copiers for larger print jobs.
- Specialized printers, such as wide-format printers or 3D printers, depending on the provider.
Balancing Service Through One Vendor and MPS Through Another
Many businesses find it advantageous to have their general IT service through one vendor while outsourcing MPS to another. This approach offers several benefits:
- Specialization: MPS providers are specialized in managing print services, ensuring high efficiency and expertise.
- Cost Reduction: By separating services, businesses can negotiate better terms and prices with each vendor, leading to potential cost savings.
- Customized Solutions: Different vendors may offer more tailored solutions in their respective fields.
- Risk Mitigation: Spreading services across vendors can reduce dependency on a single provider, mitigating risks associated with downtime or service failures.
In conclusion, sourcing the right Managed Printer Services is a strategic decision that can lead to significant benefits, including cost savings, improved efficiency, and enhanced document security. By carefully selecting a provider and considering the possibility of separating MPS from other IT services, businesses can optimize their operations and focus on their core activities.
Remember, the key is to find a service that aligns with your specific needs and goals. At Onit Office Solutions, we understand the importance of tailored solutions and are here to help you navigate the complexities of Managed Printer Services.